It is common for the prostate gland to enlarge as men age. This enlargement compresses the outlet of the bladder and obstructs the urinary flow. This condition is called Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
Plasma Vaporisation (also known as the Plasma Button Procedure) is a minimally invasive treatment which removes part of the enlarged prostate and allows a better flow of urine.
Symptoms caused by an enlarged prostate:
- The need to urinate frequently, especially at night
- Slowing of urinary stream with stopping and starting
- A sensation of not completely emptying the bladder
- Occasional complete obstruction of the bladder, urinary retention
- Development of bladder infections and stones
- Possible damage to the kidneys if untreated
BPH Plasma Vaporization
This innovative technique allows for vaporization of the prostate with minimal bleeding. It is performed with a small scope and takes approximately one hour, usually with spinal anesthetic.
You may need to go home with a catheter for a few days but will experience very little pain and will be able to return to work very quickly.
The clinical advantages of Plasma Vaporization
- Low risk of bleeding
- Rapid recover time
- Short catheterization time
- Minimal side effects
People often feel uncomfortable discussing the prostate because of the embarrassment with regards to urination and possible sexual disfunction.
Our board certified surgeons are available to discuss these private issues with you as well as treatment options both medical and surgical.