Dr. Ian Lo
Practicing in: To be updated
#2 of 135 Orthopedic Surgeons in Calgary, AlbertaLanguages:
BIOGRAPHY | PROCEDURES PERFORMED | MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS | EDUCATION | ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS | HOSPITAL AFFILIATIONS | MEDIA | HOBBIES & INTERESTS | REVIEWS
Dr. Lo received his medical degree and Orthopaedic surgical residency from the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada. After completing his surgical residency, Dr. Lo spent two years as a clinician scientist of the Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research studying soft tissue healing at the University of Calgary, Calgary, AB. Dr. Lo then began his sub-specialization in the treatment of shoulder conditions studying under Dr. Stephen Burkhart (University of Texas, San Antonio, TX) and Dr. Evan Flatow (Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY).
Dr. Lo has dedicated his practice solely to the treatment of shoulder conditions and has helped improved the quality of life of thousands of patients across Canada. He currently splits his clinical practice between Calgary, Vancouver and Kelowna and is an Assistant Professor in the Faculty of Medicine, Department of Surgery, University of Calgary. Dr. Lo specializes in the arthroscopic treatment of shoulder conditions and has pioneered several arthroscopic shoulder procedures. He holds multiple patents for innovative products designed improve shoulder surgery.Dr. Lo lectures nationally and internationally and has presented or published hundreds of papers. He has served on the committees of several distinguished organizations including the Arthroscopy Association of North America, American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Canadian Orthopaedic Association. Dr. Lo has twice been awarded the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeon’s Neer Award, the organization’s highest distinction for shoulder research and is a recipient of the Canadian Orthopaedic Association Founder’s Medal. He co-authored “A Cowboy’s Guide To Advanced Shoulder Arthroscopy”, which was recognized for its ingenuity by the British Medical Association and is now considered a classic text. Dr Lo was recently named to the top 20 List of Shoulder Surgeons In North America by Orthopaedics This Week and was the only Canadian named. He is a consultant for the National Hockey League Professional Association and Orthopaedic consultant for Smith & Nephew, Soteria Industries, and Vayulux Health Products.When he is not working Dr. Lo, he spends most of his free time with his wife and four children. He enjoys skiing, snowboarding, fitness and mixed martial arts training.
- To be updated
MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
- Top Doc: Named by Orthopaedics This Week. Top 20 Shoulder Surgeon In North America (only Canadian shoulder surgeon named). June, 2015.
- Trainee Award: Lemmex DB. Dr Roberts Townsend Scientific Award. First place podium presentation at the 2015 University of Calgary Orthopaedic Residents’ Research Day. For: Lemmex DB, Ono Y, Beach CJ, Reno CR, Hart DA, Lo IK, Thornton GM. Aging affects mechanical properties and lubricin expression in normal ligaments.
- Trainee Award: Woodmass JM. Dr Roberts Townsend Scientific Award. First place podium presentation at the 2014 University of Calgary Orthopaedic Residents’ Research Day.
- 2008 Neer Award: Local Anaesthetics Induce Chondrocyte Death in Bovine Articular Cartilage Discs in a Dose and Duration Dependent Manner
- 2004 Neer Award: American Shoulder & Elbow Surgeons Award for “Cuff integrity following arthroscopic versus open rotator cuff repair: a prospective study.” Presented at the 71st Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, San Francisco, CA.
- 2003 AANA Award: Arthroscopy Association of North American Research Essay Award for “Arthroscopic repair of massive, contracted, immobile rotator cuff tears using single and double interval slides: Technique and preliminary results. Presented at the 22nd Annual Meeting of the Arthroscopy Association of North America
- 2001 Founder’s Medal: Canadian Orthopaedic Research Society Founder’s Medal for best paper at the 35th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Orthopaedic Research Society, London, Ontario, June, 2001. “Ligament cytoarchitecture in the normal and healing ovine medial collateral and anterior cruciate ligaments.
- 1999 Research Fellowship: The Arthritis Society Research Fellowship “Matrix molecule inhibition in early healing ligaments using HVJ conjugated liposome mediated gene therapy.” $48,400.
- Research Award: Second place paper presented at the 26th Clinical Seminar in Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Western Ontario, London. “Hemiarthroplasty versus total shoulder arthroplasty in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the shoulder, a prospective randomized controlled trial”
- Give rotator cuff tears a cold shoulder. Calgary Herald Options. Your Guide To Private Medicine
- Suturing options offered for rotator cuff repair. Orthopedics Today
- The latest in timely access to healthcare. Work Life Balance. Media Planet. Calgary Herald
HOBBIES & INTERESTS
- Skiing, snowboarding, fitness and mixed martial arts training
Submitted Feb. 16, 2016
Submitted March 27, 2012
Submitted March. 3, 2014
Its been over 2 years since the second of my operations on my right shoulder. After spending the better part of 8 years in constant pain, Dr. Lo identified and corrected my injuries. About 10 months after the initial surgery, pain came back, however Dr. Lo once again immediately identified and got me in for surgery quickly. Repaired the shoulder and as previously stated, its been 2 years and i am pain free. Prompt service, excellent bed side manner (was very nervous for my second surgery, he came, spoke with me and my wife, and by the end of the conversation had both of us laughing as well as half the operating staff, awesome choice of footwear!) I have been able to start swimming again, and have recently taken up golfing, both of which would have not been possible without the help of Dr. Lo and his staff. Very thankful for the talent of Dr. Lo, and would recommend him to anyone who is having shoulder issues. Thank you Dr. Lo!
The reviews listed above are a small editorial sample of the many reviews available for this doctor on RateMDs.com at the time of publication. To view all reviews, and any more recent reviews please visit the RateMDs website as new reviews may be added at any time. Overall RateMD star rating is periodically updated and is subject to change over time. Centric Health and RateMDs are unable to guarantee the validity of user submitted reviews.